Hello Loco Family,
Due to the social distancing and shelter in place extensions, it is with a heavy heart that we have decided to cancel the Loco Scavenger Hunt 5k & the Forest Ranch Four. Please know that we absolutely do not take this decision lightly.
We know how hard you all have trained. We know that many of you would've been coming from out of town and that requires advanced planning. We know that you were looking forward to putting your training to use and having a great time in the woods just as much as we were looking forward to running Loco with you all. We WILL run Loco together in the future, when everyone is healthy and the world can get out and enjoy each others company once again!
As we stated in our last email update, you all have several options. An email was sent to all registered participants on 04/02/2020. If you did not receive the email, please contact us at as you will need to choose which option is right for you no later than Thursday, April 9th with your decision. Those who do not email, we will consider your registration a generous donation to our beneficiary.
We can't tell you how sad we are that the Forest Ranch Four 2020 isn't happening but what we can tell you is that we plan to still be at the start line of our other 4 races in 2020 if and when mandates are lifted so keep checking in to keep updated and we will see you all Running Loco soon!!!
Much Love and Loconess,
11 days ago I sent out an update about the Loco Race Series, in particular, the Forest Ranch Four. I felt that it was time to check in again to see how everyone is doing and send out another update. While things around us are changing daily, the Loco Crew feels strongly that communication is key to providing some stability in these strange times and keeping all of us on the same page with what to expect come race day, especially if there are any changes on our end.
We understand that many of you have concerns about all aspects of staying safe during this self isolation period, state mandates and beyond. We have heard from many of you that if possible you would still like to run on race day and from some that they still feel concerned and apprehensive about being in a group even after mandates and isolation are lifted. We respect all of these feelings and are working hard to provide options for all of you, within the rules and limitations of whatever mandates are in place come race day.
That being said, we want to clear up any misunderstandings that may have come from the announcement that we put out about continuing to hold the Forest Ranch Four and the new 100k distance just before Governor Newsom announced the California Shelter in place mandate. We have been told that many people believe that we put the announcement out after the mandate and that we plan to hold the event regardless of what rules and regulations are in place.
While the Loco Crew takes the task of following through on our promise of providing all of you with an awesome event very seriously and feels strongly that we will do anything within our power to hold this event on race day, we are absolutely not saying that we plan to break the law or practice irresponsible behavior to make it happen. We have had some folks take it upon themselves to send us emails filled with fear mongering and messages with misinformation pertaining to COVID-19 trying to scare us in to making a rash decision to cancel the event immediately. We can not in good conscious to that to our runners. We feel that it is important to look at things from all angles and make our decisions based on fact AND current mandates in place.
This is why we have decided the following:
1. As of today, 03/27/20 we are still planning to hold the Forest Ranch Four as long as the Shelter in Place mandate is lifted. We are still over 3 weeks away from race day and with things changing every single day we are not going to base a decision to cancel on what the situation is today. We want all of you to know that there is a possibility of the race not happening on the date planned however, the only reason this will happen is if the Shelter in Place mandate is still in effect.
2. We very much respect anyone who wants to keep clear of groups for a while, even after the Shelter in Place mandate is lifted. For those of you who are feeling this way, you have some choices to continue to do what is right for you. These options are available if the race does not cancel but you feel that you do not want to run with us on race day:
A. You can run a virtual race and pick up your FR4 swag at a future race, when you feel more comfortable being out in a group setting. We will have more information on how this option will work soon.
B. Transfer your registration to someone else (you can use this option any time on UltraSignUp).
If you are feeling more inclined towards this option, we ask two things, shoot us a reply email and give us a heads up so we can feel out how everyone is feeling (this step will not commit you to the decision) and even if you feel sure about making this decision right now, please wait to make your final decision until race week. It will be much less confusing for everyone to change registrations just once in case anyone changes how they feel closer to race day, depending on the mandate situation.
3. We are still working out how exactly packet pick up will work but it is looking like we actually might still utilize Friday, April 17th after all by creating a drive through pickup so no one needs to stand in line.
4. If we do have to cancel the FR4 you all will still get your swag and will have the following options (these options are only available if we have to cancel the race):
A. Run a virtual race and pick up your swag at a future race (more info to come on this option as needed).
B. Run the course any time between 4/19-4/25. You will need to choose a time slot. 8 slots per block of time will be offered, with start times twice a day. This will help keep folks at a safe distance from one another and within the guidelines of the mandate currently in place in California regarding groups AND regarding outdoor exercise. The course will be marked with cairns and other natural markers that will leave no trace being left out on the course for an extended period of time. This will be a run at your own risk, unsupported run, not officially supported or put on by Intrepid Adventures and ultimately subject to any current rules and regulations in place. You will need to follow safe distancing practices and any rules posted by the landowners while running. We are still working through this option, if it becomes necessary, and will put out more information as needed.
C. Defer your registration until next year's Forest Ranch Four (2021). Please note that if you choose this option, the FR4 2020 WILL NOT count towards one of your races ran to earn your 2020 Loco Race Series hoodie.
D. Roll your registration over to an alternate race in the Loco Race Series 2020. Please note that if you choose this option, the FR4 2020 WILL NOT count towards one of your races ran to earn your 2020 Loco Race Series hoodie.
As we said previously, we do not take our responsibilities to you, our running community and fellow humans lightly. We love our Loco family and are working hard on finding and providing the balance between keeping our promise to all of you while doing what is right given the current situation. We are committed to being the calm in this storm and hope that when this is all over we can Run Loco with all of your beautiful faces, whether at the Forest Ranch Four or otherwise.
In the meantime, stay safe, keep your distance and wash your daggone hands!
Hello Loco Runners,
I have been seeing many races postpone or cancel in the last 2 weeks. In this uncertain and upside down time, I wanted to get in touch with each of you to fill you in on what our plan of action is with the Loco Race Series in relation to the COVID-19 outbreak.
We plan on being at the start line on race day.
Unless our permits are pulled, we will be there ready to cheer you on and get you through the Loco finish line. Precautions will be taken in regards to anything that could potentially put you or us in harms way. We will outline some of those precautions below. Please keep in mind that we are still working on the measures that we will put in place so the below items do not include every precaution.
1. Our course is almost exclusively dirt/gravel logging roads which means there is potential for a 20' spread between you and a runner running at a similar pace or trying to pass you. We are asking that all of you help keep this a reality out on the course on race day. If you are running near someone, use the wide course to both of your advantages and stay on the opposite side of the trail if possible. If not possible, keep at least a 6' spread between you and the next runner.
If you are passing a runner, pass on the very opposite side of the trail.
2. The CDC suggests that any event or gathering over 50 people postpones. We are planning to stagger our runners in several waves by 5-10 minutes (still working on exact numbers) so that none of the starting groups exceeds 40 runners. Our start line chute will be greatly widened and extended, giving all runners the 6'-10' spread recommended by the CDC.
3. There will be hand washing stations at each aid station and at the start/finish line.
4. All aid station food will be individually wrapped either from the manufacturer or prior to the race start or when prepared to prevent open contamination that may occur at an aid station. We have will have powdered single serving electrolytes at the aid stations so that runners can make their own electrolytes. All volunteers will be wearing gloves and will be briefed on proper sanitation, hygiene measures. We are still working on how we will handle the water at aid stations. It hurts our hearts to think that we may have to use single use bottles. We will continue to brainstorm. If you have ideas, please post them to our Facebook group The Loco Race Series. We would love to hear your ideas. Please remember to keep them respectful and factual (if facts are needed).
5. Sadly, we feel that traditional packet pick up the day before is is not the best idea. We are working on how we will offer packet pick up safely so that no one is forced to stand in lines or groups. If you have ideas on this, let us know in our Facebook group mentioned above.
We are trying our best to answer questions or concerns that you all might be having and we ask that you post them to our Facebook group (The Loco Race Series) in case others have the same questions that you do.
Thanks, as always, for reading to the end of these long emails! If any of you need anything, please feel free to reach out. We will always do our best to take care of our Loco family. We are in this together!
Much Love and Loconess,
I'm a paragraph. Click here to add your own text and edit me. It's easy.